Happy 2013!!! I'd like to take a reflective step back today and visit some of the juicy stuff the animal and literary niches showed the world in 2012.
Noteworthy Vet Stuff 2012:
- Summer 2012 Olympics: Every four years the world is exposed to the beauty, athleticism, and partnership of three equestrian sports: jumping, dressage, and three-day eventing. Germany and Great Britain dominated the majority of the three sports in both individual and team competition.
- Winner of the 2012 Westminster Dog Show: "Malachy" the Pekingese.
- Uggie, a handsome Jack Russell terrier won multitudes of adoring fans with his performance in the movie "The Artist".
- Tardar Sauce AKA the Grumpy Cat meme becomes an Internet sensation:
- HBO ends the filming of its new series "Luck" after three horses die.
- A prominent Tennessee Walking Horse trainer was convicted of animal cruelty after video evidence showed various acts of soring and other methods of abuse at his barn, drawing national attention.
- The US's fourth case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) AKA Mad Cow disease found in a cull dairy cow in California.
- FDA issued a draft guidance on the voluntary withdrawal of antibiotics for production purposes in food animals.
- The once-mysterious cause of the lethal white nose syndrome in bats was found to be fungal.
Noteworthy Literary Stuff of 2012:
- The Encyclopedia Britannica goes all-digital and stops printing bound volumes.
- The Pulitzer Prize board decided not to award a prize for fiction.
- A Navy SEAL involved in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden publishes a personal account.
- J.K. Rowling publishes an adult novel, "The Casual Vacancy".
- Chinese novelist Mo Yan wins the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- Hilary Mantel is the first woman to win the Man Booker Prize twice, with her novel "Bring Up the Bodies".
- Publishing house giants Random House and Penguin merge.